Tuesday, May 01, 2012

ACL Update…

So my surgeon cancelled my 2 month check up and my 3 month check up is next week but my insurance only allows me 25 PT visits.  I  have now used up all my PT by insurance and when I tried to get discharged the surgeon’s assistant said that there is no way I can be discharged without seeing the doctor or within 3 months of ACL surgery.

Luckily the surgeon’s assistant is nice so I didn’t really get mad at her for the doctor not being able to see me sooner.   They tried to get me a medical necessity note to the insurance company saying I am not healed yet but that did not work.  So, I was sort of discharged.  In the books I am discharged and now working out under medical supervision.  I still can’t run, jump or play sports but I do get to run on this anti-gravity treadmill:

acl_wk11_alterg2

I totally hate running but running in this thing is like running on air.   Here is a description of the machine:

Originally conceived by Dr. Robert Whalen to design effective exercise regimens for NASA’s astronauts, Differential Air Pressure (DAP) technology has been adapted by AlterG for use in training and rehabilitation. Cleared by the FDA in 2008, the AlterG Anti-Gravity Treadmill is a medical device that can be used for:

Rehabilitation of lower extremity injuries
Treatment of neurological conditions
Weight reduction
Aerobic conditioning
General training to combat the diseases of aging
Unweighting is achieved in the AlterG by using air in a pressure-controlled chamber to gently lift the user. Precise calibration using our patented technology allows for very specific unweighting from 100-20% of the users body weight in 1% increments. Something no other unweighting modality can do.

No comments: